We can consider Pav Bhaji to one of the most desired street food of INDIA. We can say Pav Bhaji is originated from Mumbai, Maharastra. Whenever you get a chance to go to Mumbai you should check this delicious dish at JUHU BEACH. Pav Bhaji is quite famous at there. PAV is an Indian bread and BHAJI is a mixture of mashed vegetables cooked with spice powder. Usually Pav Bhaji is served with generous amount of Butter along with some fresh onions.
ORIGIN : PAV BHAJI
Pav Bhaji has its origins in the civil war of America in the 1860s. Because of the civil war, there was a huge demand for cotton. Due to this, the traders at the Bombay Cotton Exchange used to be very busy especially during the night when new cotton rates used to be telegram from America. Thus they used to return home late . So the street vendors to collect the leftover bread from the Jesuit priests and mix all the vegetables, mash them together and used to eat them with the bread and butter. Thus Pav (bread) Bhaji (vegetables) was born.
While Maharashtra can rightly claim to be the birthplace of this much-loved dish, different parts of India have added their own flavors and variations to this popular street food. Here are Five different variants of Pav Bhaji depending on which part of the country you’re in.
- JAIN PAV BHAJI
JAIN PAV BHAJI is no onion, no garlic version of the regular Pav Bhaji made using raw bananas instead of potatoes and mashed peas. This is available in Gujarat and parts of Maharashtra.
- KATHIAWAR PAV BHAJI
The Pav Bhaji from this region has local spices added to it, giving it a very distinct taste, and it is usually washed down with a glass of buttermilk.
- KADA PAV BHAJI
KADA PAV BHAJI is the same as regular Pav Bhaji except that the vegetables in it are not mashed up i.e. the chopped and cooked vegetables are kept intact, whole.
- PUNJAB’s VERSION OF PAV BHAJI
Punjab’s version of PAV BHAJI is loaded with whole spices (Garam Masala), excess butter and often accompanied by a glass of ‘LASSI’.
- KOLHAPURI PAV BHAJI
A variation where Red Chilli powder is substituted by Kolhapuri Kanda Lasun chutney to make it more spicy and garlicky version of the Pav Bhaji.
MASALA : PAV BHAJI
Pav Bhaji is also known as mouthwatering dish so without wasting to your time let us move towards the recipe of Pav Bhaji. There are many Pav Bhaji masala powders available in market. Each one is different in its flavor and taste. But the basic ingredients almost remains the same. Only the quantity of their change. So you can choose the best one for you and also for your taste. I like my HOMEMADE HANDMADE masala powders so I make my own Pav Bhaji Masala Powder at home. You can make Pav Bhaji masala powder by roasting the following ingredients by using and spice jar.
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Cumin or Jeera
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Red Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1/2 tbsp Amchur
- 1 tbsp Pepper Corn
INGREDIENTS : PAV BHAJI
- 1 CUP Cauliflower (Chopped)
- 1 CUP Carrot (Chopped)
- 1/2 CUP French Beans (Chopped)
- 1 CUP Capsicum (Chopped)
- 1/2 CUP Potatoes (Cubed)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 CUP Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2 CUP Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- Red Chilli Powder (According to taste)
- 2 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- Salt (to taste)
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 6-8 Ladi Pavs
- 3 tbsp Butter (for Pavs)
PROCESS : PAV BHAJI
- Boil all the vegetables together and drain the water. Blend the vegetables or not, it’s depending on you.
- Now heat oil and butter in a large pot. Add Cumin Seeds and then Onion and saute for a while, saute till onion are soft.
- Add tomatoes and turmeric, red chili powder, half Pav Bhaji Masala, butter and mix well. Then cook them by adding little bit water till the oil separate.
- Add cooked vegetables and mix well.
- Season with remaining Pav Bhaji masala salt. Add butter and 1-2 cups of water and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Lastly add it in butter and mix well. Don’t forget to turn off the flame.
- Now for the Pav, heat generous amount of butter, red chilli powder (optional) and dab the Pavs in it.
- Serve hot Bhaji with Pav along with chopped onion, coriander and lemon wedges.
Note: For making proper Pav Bhaji butter is most important thing which give Pav Bhaji a creamy texture.
Potatoes are replaced with sweet potatoes which give B+B (Body +Binding)